24/2/56

WAT YANNAWA TEMPLE


Wat Yannawa is a royal temple established in the Ayutthaya period (1350-1767 AD) and initially called Wat Kok Khwai. The name was later changed to Wat Kok Krabue in the Thonburi and early Bangkok eras. During the Rattanakosin period, King Rama III (1824-1851) added a wiharn in the form of the Chinese junk to remind the Thai people of the sailing ships that had brought much prosperity to the country. The two chedi (pagodas) represent the masts of the ship and the alter is in the wheel house on the rear upper deck. King Rama III also bestowed the name Wat Yannawa upon the temple. Wat Yannawa was very popular with Chinese people who settled in the Yannawa area after the original China Town area became too crowded. The temple is still popular with the Chinese people who continue to live in the district

YANNAWA TEMPLE

 YANNAWA TEMPLE


YANNAWA TEMPLE

The large gatehouse of the temple.
The temple's singular attraction is its very unusual wiharn in the shape of a Chinese junk. The wiharn was built on the orders of King Rama III, who saw steam ships replacing the old junks, and wanted the people to remember the old ships that had originally bought so much prosperity to the kingdom. The 'ship' is made out of concrete, with two chedis where the masts would normally be. The alter is in the wheel house above the stern.



YANNAWA TEMPLE
YANNAWA TEMPLE

For More Information :


To get here from Saphan Taksin BTS station, take exit 4 at the east side of
the station, walk straight to Charoen Krung Road Bangkok THAILAND,
take a right and the temple is a short walk away on the right. 
From Sathorn express boat pier, walk straight away from the river, past 
the BTS station, and you’ll hit Charoen Krung Road after no more
than 100 metres. The temple is open at all hours but
 the Jessadabodin shrine building opens daily between 09:00 and 17:30. 
Admission is free.